YTD - 238.5k
It's me again, I have been absent for sometime for no real reason besides the onset of laziness. This has also filtered into my training running a grand total of 60k since mid Feb.
Over the past month or so I have only really exerted myself once which was for our annual 5 x 1k relay competition at work. Approx 200 people entered making up about 40 teams in total, without dragging it out our team won very comfortably clocking 16 mins flat on the grass track. I ran the 4th leg finishing in 3 mins dead, two other members of the team also ran very low 3 min legs with the other 2 members clocking around 3.20. That was about 2 weeks ago and since then I have run 7 k over the easter long weekend.
That is until today.
I looked up on the website of the BRRC and noticed that the 5 - 35k self select event was on. I have always missed this event and thought this should be an opportunity to get my training back on the rails in preparation for Warwick in May.
I planned for 20k, but..... and there is always a but with my plans, I didn't quite get there.
Why? you ask........read on!
It was quite nippy this morning for the start and it took the first 1k to get my body warm and loose. This showed as I clocked 4.30 for it. From then on I consistently ran low 4's with a plan to average 4.15 for the first 5k loop. I acheived this splitting in 21 mins
At that stage I was still doing the 20k, my next plan was to slow down and average 4.30 for the next loop. I was feeling very good considering my training and at times found myself running too fast. I finished the next 5k loop in 22.18 so slightly too quick. By the end of that lap I noticed that my left foot had developed a blister and was causing some discomfort, which was when I decided to cut it down to 15k.
I took a drink at the drink station at the start of the 3rd lap, now that I was cutting it short I wanted to increase the pace again. Suprisingly I was still feeling very comfortable hardly blowing and the legs were only a tad tired. I aimed to at least split at 4.15 but would try to run faster the main thing though was to remain comfortable.
The 11th km was slow around 4.30 as I took that drink, however by the 13th km I was right on the 4.15 pace. At the 14k mark the 4k mark of the last lap I passed it in 16.57. Blowing a little harder now but still feeling really good I upped the pace one last time to ensure I break 21 mins for the last lap. I did crossing the line in 20.50 (3.53 for the 15th km) with a total time of 64.08.
I handed my time card in and was told I was the first one in for 15k. I am still amazed at how comfortable that was. I think that was my first win at BRRC, I got a finely crafted ceramic mug for my effort. I must say that I do like it when everyone is in taper mode for the Canberra Marathon it does make you look alot better than you really are :-)
Peace Out!
5 comments:
Wow; that's a sensational way to return to the training. How can your enthusiasim NOT return after that?
Congrats!
Well done old son.
Sounds like you are "finely crafted" but certainly no "mug".
But, you are a lot better than you really are Shane!
A bit of a bugger about the ceramic mug - a pewter one that you could have had engraved with "1st Place" would have been better ;)
Oh yes, nice 1k! 3 minutes! Now, if you could only string another 9 after that...
Congrats again on this morn.
Your win had nothing to do with people tapering, in fact only a couple of us there are doing Canberra and Rob ran flat out in the 10k. You won the mug fair and square! Now you have to work on collecting a set :)
Oh yeah, and I agree with Ewen about the 1k - woohoo!
3 mins for 1 k, what a time, and winning the 15 k.
What would happen if you trained.
Does all this mean you're back into training?
Post a Comment