Today I went to the pool, with my wife to do a few laps. It was great to actually do something again, to get the heart pumping and feel that latic/fatigue feeling running through my body. Im probably getting a bit carried away but I enjoyed it too say the least.
Anyway I was aiming to do 500m, I had my peanut which is a foam piece that fits between your legs to assist with my swimming. It was quite comfortable and after the first few laps I decided to increase the distance. I wasn't using my legs much and was pushing off the walls with my good leg which felt strange at first but I got used to it. I broke the session down into a pyramid type session where I swam 100m,200m,300m,200m,100m intervals. After completing that I ditched the peanut and used a kick board for another 100m. This was very slow going, there is no strength in my right leg and it was quite hard to stay on the correct side of the lane. If I kicked any harder with my good leg then I would have probably done doughnuts in the lane rather than getting to the other end.
As a cool down sort of activity I done some shallow water jogging which felt good, there was no pain which is always a good sign. I guess that this will be a common activty, having a daily visit to the pool, myself being partially disabled and my wife 4 1/2 month pregnant we make perfect invalid partners. Oh yeah almost forgot, seeing I have been a member of CR for a while I made an effort and bought a hat to identify myself as a CR. Eagerly awaiting it's arrival. Happy Training..
4 comments:
Good to hear the CR cap is on its way. We'll be able to spot you now once you're back on the road!
Reading your post I had visions of a CR cap bobbing up and down in the water, doing laps. I ordered mine on Wednesday.
Hey Shane - great to see your new blog! Great colours too.
And especially to see you getting motivated to start afresh after the surgery into a bold and daring running year in 2006! Can't wait to see how you go in your lead up to Noosa, and perhaps I'll catch up with you at a couple of Brissy events - I'm a big fan of the running scene up there and will be visiting often :)
I really like your new banner and blog too, it looks great. Great to hear you're now back into doing some exercise and that sounded like a pretty good session and at least your heart rate was up so you'll start regaining your fitness.
Exciting times next year for the Shane family then!
Post a Comment