Yesterday was the second last day that my Gym will be opened until after the new year, so I had to make the most of it. I got up relatively early, for a person on holidays that is and went to the gym. I am beginning to enjoy the elliptical trainer as it is a good cardio workout and seems to be helping my knee alot. I ended up doing 30 mins on it 20 mins in the Fwd direction and 10 minutes in reverse, which is definently the hardest direction.
That afternoon saw me again make an appearance at the gym, to do another 30 min stint on the trainer. My legs felt a little fatigued from the morning session at first, but then seemed to get better as the workout progressed. My wife had dropped me off on the way to work so I had to walk home, I have been walking around rather stiff leggered (spelling ?), so I really concentrated on trying to walk 'normal'. By the time I arrived home my knee had loosened up significantly which is good news.
Today, comprised of a morning swim approx 1200 m, I was planning to do a swimfit class which is a group session like a swim squad with someone helping to correct technique. However this came to an abrupt end when everyman and his dog rocked up, so I decided to swim on my own.
Tonight I went to the gym for the last time before it closes and done another 30 mins on the elliptical trainer, I then went to the treadmill and began to walk just to get my legs working again. Getting off the machine has a very similar feeling to riding a bike and then attempting to run straight after. I walked for a Km at 10min/km pace and was feeling alright, I had a drink and went back.
I decided to give a slow jog a crack my aim being 1 km, I increase the pace to an uncomfortable walking speed and began to jog holding on to the rails to get used to the feeling again. I kept increasing the pace slowly each time, until the last 200m when I reached max speed of 10.4 km. I must tell you that it wasn't the most comfortable thing to do, but it felt good just the same. I have a long way to go in a short time, just over a week to my running debut, however looking back to 3 days ago I was still struggling to walk faster than 16min/km. I ended up covering that Km in 6:55
4 comments:
i know u prolly get this often but.. HEY keep it up man.. u seem to be realy really hard working
ANd dun worry .. there are actually ppl like me reading your progresss
cheers
That's great Shane. The fitness you get from workouts on the trainers is gonna come in handy on your first real run back.
Gosh, it doesn't seem like that long ago that you couldn't even get on the bike.
If I don't get around to commenting again in the next few days hope you have a great Chrissy. Looking forward to meeting you on the road in 2006!
It seems like your on the mend now. Keep it going, you'll get there.
Great stuff - it sounds like your well on your way to recovery now.
Probably last time I reply before Xmas so have a great one and hope the knee holds up well!
Post a Comment