Friday, January 05, 2007

A time for reflection!

I received some tragic news today, one of the fellows that I work with with died yesterday morning. Very shocking and of course very unexpected. I Don't know the cause of death as yet but he woke up at midnight feeling ill and was pronounced dead at 2 am. I feel for his family and can't imagine what they must be going through. He was only in in early 40's.

Times like this certainly give you a reality check, it makes you realise how precious and how unpredictable our existance really is. For many of us choices are made without thinking too much about the repercussuions they will have especially relating to lifestyle.

There are not many aspects to our lives that we have control over but lifestyle is one part we do have some say. It has a major influence over the direction our lives lead and yet many of us, myself included take it for granted.

I am talking primarily about diet and exercise, although there are many other factors I believe that these are the easiest but most abused lifestyle choices, well in our household anyway.

Although I not big on New Years resolutions, I guess this could be classified as such. It has been in the back of my mind since I received the news and feel that Cass and myself need take some action. We lead a generally healthy lifestyle, but we both make bad decisions on a regular basis. Mine is usually diet related whereas Cass is more so exercise.

As of 7 mths ago we now not only have ourselves to consider but little Sam aswell. Not only will it affect our lives in years to come but it will hopefully educate Sam to make better choices in the future aswell.

It is just a shame that something tragic needs to happen before you really sit down and think about it.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

So sorry to hear your news Shane.

Very wise thoughts.

TD said...

This is awful news and so true what you say Shane. I had a similar reaction to you on hearing of the death of a young runner recently (see my 3 Dec post on the Cycle of Life).

It was great to see you in Brisbane and my best wishes to you for the year ahead. May all your running dreams come true.

Ellie80 said...

hey shane - i am also very sorry to hear your news. but what you say is very true - some things we really can control.

take care