Sunday, March 08, 2015

Feb/Mar Update

Training has been going well for the last few weeks. I have been happy with the progress of my calf and am ready to put it behind me. I have remained consistent, for me anyway in my training. managing 3-4 runs per week. I still haven't got a race to aim for so my training will not be as regimented as it should be.

I am unsure if I should aim for a race or not. Undecided about the Townsville Running Festival, if I will be away leading up to the event. Suppose I will make a call later down the track there is still 5 months to plan and I would only be focussing on a 1/2 and under anyway so still have about 4-6 weeks before I would need to focus on specifics.

I am not going into what I have done since my last post besides the fact that I managed a win at Parkrun. I managed to get to a race that a person who has had 10 wins from 11 starts. I have always missed him as I don't have one regular Parkrun and usually mix it up with Riverway.

Anyway at the start of the event I had no idea who he was but when he started I knew if I wanted to win that I would have to make that happen. He seemed to be running smoothly and I didn't hear him breath heavy at all. I remained about 2-3 metres behind for the first 4k. The first 3k was covered in 3.44, 3.50, 3.55 (11.29) before I noticed a drop in pace. It wasn't a big drop at first but towards the end of the 4th km I could feel he was starting to tire. Immediately after the 4km mark designated on the paths we run I accelerated. I am still not at my fittest and thought that if I made a quick move and make a gap of 40+ meters in a short time frame that it would break that elastic band.

The 4th km was covered in 3.59 and my move seemed to work. I didn't look back for the first 500m but when the course rounded the last few corners I had a peak. I had a good 70 metres on him and knew I had my first real hit out and win for 2015 under my belt. Last km covered in 3.50.


3 comments:

Ewen said...

Nice race Shane. You pulled a good gap going by the photo.

Ewen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane said...

Thanks Ewen, yeah it was a nice one by the end but it was tough. I was too exhausted at the end to even realise :-)