Monday, November 20, 2006

Training with a Difference!

Week - 8k
Month - 51.5
YTD - 1038k


Headed out today after having a rest day yesterday. My legs felt great and what I thought would be a tough afternoon turned out to be an enjoyable one. I am starting to feel that my fitness is moving in the right direction although I am a long way off what I was 2 months ago.

I really wasn't in the mood to be out there for too long today although I was keen to run I figured around 8k would be enough. I decided to do a differential run where I would do the return leg quicker, in otherwords I was aiming to achieve a negative split.

A 4k out and back course with the return leg having a few inclines to contend with. I intended to maintain 5min/k pace for the first 4k which seemed to go well for the majority of the leg. At times I noticed my pace creeping up which has always been a bad habit of mine, and with a few hundred metres to go I eased up quite abit to reach the turn around spot on 20 minutes.

I quickly increased the pace and realised that my pacing is all over the shop. I began way to fast with my intention to maintain 4.30 pace for the return leg, I was sitting on 4.15. Slowing down I quickly got a feel for the pace and began clocking splits a little under 4.30 pace.

I generally felt ok, however the last incline did hurt a little pushing the HR and breathing up quite a bit. Once back on level ground the last 500m back home I felt great maintaining the pace very easily. I reached home in 37.38 making it a 17.38 (4.25/k) for the return leg.

Off the topic my mate at work has committed himself to running the first leg of the Kurrawa race. Although he is a bit concerned about the distance and his time I have reassured him that I don't care how long it takes him and that he will be fine, well maybe quite stiff the next day. I will be sending the application off within the next day or so. Pretty exciting.

In the mean time I am visiting a mate who has just had his first baby at Coffs Harbour this weekend, I have also noticed in the RW events calender that there is a fun run at Dorrigo which I am lead to believe is not too far away. It is a 9k or 13k race on Sunday morning so I might enter that as part of my training. Should be interesting Dorrigo is not a big place, but I do like the smaller events.

4 comments:

Clairie said...

I'd encourage you to do the fun run - they literally are fun and a great way to spice up your training.

You might even pick up some bling!!

R2B said...

Like Clairie said about the bling!

I saw some of those littlies in RW and actually i ran in the Goat Race coming 7th.Glad i finally found your blog again ;)

Cheers R2B

Tesso said...

I have that trouble occasionally, going faster than I should ... but that's when I'm driving not when I'm running ;-)

I think you're looking pretty good for Kurrawa.

Ewen said...

Oh, to be able to run so fast by 'mistake'!

I'd say you'd have a good chance of a top-10 placing at Dorrigo and your name in the R4YL results.

Kurrawa will be interesting.